Are Geckos Poisonous?

If you are planning to kill or harm the wall gecko or Common house gecko that looks creepy crawling on your walls because you think they are venomous or poisonous, then stop right there!

Geckos may look awfully creepy with their unusual rough skin texture with colorful dots but do not mistake them for their looks. Like it is said, do not judge a book by its cover, do not judge a gecko by its looks.

Are Geckos poisonous? Geckos are not poisonous, and they are no harm to you. Geckos are a type of lizard, but they are not harmful. In fact, except for the Gila Monster and Mexican beaded Lizard, no lizards are harmful whatsoever.

But there arise several questions when we face a gecko in real-time. So let us discuss some of them and get to understand them better.

Are Geckos Bite Poisonous?

Studies have found out that gecko bites are not poisonous or venomous. Except for the Gila Moster and Mexican Beaded Lizard, other lizards and geckos can possess no threats to humans as well as animals like dogs. In fact, they are essential lizards that eat insects and pests away from your house.

Some lizards, such as the Komodo Dragon, have toxic agents present in their saliva that are extremely harmful to animals. However, geckos are not in that category. But if you ever get bitten by a gecko, you might want to be a little careful.

Gecko bites are not venomous, but their bite can consist of some amount of venom that can be mildly infectious. Gecko bites may swell up your affected area and cause mild bleeding. Although not much of an issue for humans, it is better to thoroughly clean the bitten area and apply antibiotic ointments to prevent any unnecessary infection that can occur due to the bacteria present in the mouth of the gecko.

It is also safe to use a sanitizer or handwash if you even come in touch with a gecko or after handling them. It has been found out that although not poisonous enough for humans, geckos reside in corner areas in our house that are usually uncleaned. Such places have high concentrations of bacterial and pathogenic growth.

Due to the unhygienic conditions of their habitats, there are chances of bacteria or pathogens mingling on the scales of geckos. Geckos can also have salmonella germs in their guts which is common in other reptiles and can be poisonous. Therefore, even if you are not bitten and just come in contact with one, it is better to wash the area and clean off the bacteria that might have entered your skin from their feces.

Can Gecko be eaten?

Have you ever wondered if those extraordinary creepy-looking small creatures can make a good meal? If not, then let me enlighten you. Although not very common, geckos are edible, and some people are used to eating geckos and enjoying them.

While you thought geckos are just some creepy crawlers, it can actually be a type of meal. It is said that geckos are not poisonous when eaten as long as one cooks them well and clean off any bacteria present in them.

It is a fact that geckos carry salmonella germs in their guts which can be poisonous and is something humans would not prefer, so some might give second thoughts before eating them. But as long as they are cooked to a certain degree of temperature and proper kitchen cleanliness is followed, one can avoid contamination and treat geckos as a good survival meal.

Also, geckos are believed to have tonic properties that can be used to produce wine the same way snake wine is produced. Studies have also found out that geckos can be medicinal and a very essential product to treat human soreness. Even Chinese medicine practitioners have stated that geckos can be used as a useful medicine to treat back pains when they are infused in strong rice wine. It also helps in boosting one’s energy.

Myths about Gecko Food Poisoning

You must have heard of the myths that people talk about regarding how geckos falling on your shoulders can bring luck or bad omen, or geckos can cause food poisoning if they fall on your food. Well, today we are concerned more about the latter. People often say that lizards or geckos can cause food poisoning and serious health issues.

Scientifically if we look into this matter, it is a fact that geckos may carry salmonella germs in their guts which can be poisonous. It is the same as contamination of old foods. So in case, a gecko falls on your food, it can leave traces of germs and bacteria on your food. But if the food is cooked well to a certain degree of temperature, the bacteria can be washed off. So it is safe to say that geckos might contaminate your food, but that is definitely not similar to food poisoning.

But if a gecko falls on your cooked or ready meal, then generally you would not want to eat it. Nobody wants to eat a portion of food where a gecko has stepped on. So, in that case, people might prefer something else.

However, it is clear that geckos can pollute the food because of their bacterial growth on their skins, but it is certainly not food poisoning.


We learned that geckos are not poisonous or venomous to humans and certain animals. They are insects and pests hunters, and their looks do not define their character. But it is always harmless to keep your tabletops and corners of your room clean and sanitized unless you want to pet geckos.

One should also try not to threaten or disturb a gecko for no reason. Because geckos are harmless animals, and they deserve all the respect. It is also to note that even though they aren’t poisonous like other reptiles, they still carry some bacterial threats. And in case your skin is sensitive to such bacteria, it may cause severe infections. So playing around them might cost you later.

Therefore, it is safe to conclude that geckos are not poisonous, but they are not something to play around with either.

Leave a Comment